Monday, January 18, 2010

What happened to fun?

Years and years ago when I first started quilting, my friend Moe made the quilt Wear Warm Clothes by Country Threads. I fell in love with the quilt and decided to make it even though I was a novice quilter. This is my version.
It is not the best applique in the world, nor the straightest quilt in the world, but I still enjoy it's whimsy and remember fondly the fun I had making it - and all the mistakes I worked around. Obvious mistake - the cup at the bottom right that is turned the wrong direction.
The extra star on the side of the cap below is because I accidently cut a hole in the quilt when I was cutting threads, so I appliqued a star over the hole.
When hanging this quilt today I was reminded that quilting, for me, should be about fun. It is too easy for me to get caught up in the "what will other people think" road of perfectionism. When I was a novice, I had a lot more fun with quilting. Now that I know what is excellent and what is not, I find myself having less fun and feeling like quilting is another hard test of my abilities.

Where do you draw the line between improving and going down that less-than-fun road to perfectionism? Is it still fun if you are critical of your own work to the point of avoiding it?

Those are my deep thoughts for the day. What do you think?

4 comments:

Jill said...

I know what you mean & I'm sure alot of women struggle with the "perfect" issue. I often think what grace I have for another woman's mistakes but have so little for mine... the solution-pretend my mistakes are done by my best girl frends!God bless your day!!ps. the quilts are lovely on your blog!

BrendaS said...

I think you definitely have to have FUN in the process. Quilting should be enjoyable and not a chore. Life is too short and there are lots of things we have to do that we don't like, quilting or any hobby should all be for FUN!!!
Brenda
BTW -- I LOVE that quilt!

MB said...

That's one of my very favorite quilts of yours ... and yes, what's the old phrase, "The enemy of good is better and the enemy of better is best." And as Jill said above, we find grace for others when we won't permit ourselves any!! Strange human conundrum. But like Brenda, fun is necessary. Bringing back the fun, acting childlike in our wonder and our approach to life is healing! Love yoU!

Maureen and P.D. the Pet Dog said...

Hi Bonnie!! I just got out my Weat Warm Clothes quilt the other day too! I'll bring it to bee on Monday if you bring yours. :-) Sometimes I think I need to try harder for perfection in my quilting but then I remember that's not much fun... FUN is what life is all about!